Do you need student travel insurance ?

Do you need student travel insurance for a Schengen visa ?

Depending on your nationality and the duration of your studies in the Schengen area country of your choice, you might need a visa and travel insurance. Indeed some visa applications require travel insurance to be completed. But remember, travel insurance is not only a required document, but it is also highly recommended for any traveller, among them - young people willing to study overseas. Studying abroad is an incredible opportunity for young people to broaden their horizons and shouldn’t be jeopardized by an emergency. That’s why student travel insurance is essential to cover you if the unexpected happens; in other words, it provides you with peace of mind before and during your trip.

What is a Schengen Visa ?

In 2021, the list of countries in the Schengen area includes 26 countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, The Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Sweden.

These countries share an external border and a visa policy . Therefore, foreign national willing to study in one of these countries will have to apply for a Schengen visa, depending on their nationality. A distinction is made between countries exempt from a Schengen visa and countries whose nationals are obliged to apply for a Schengen visa.

Which Schengen Visas apply to students?

Type C Schengen visaThe short-stay Schengen visa (type C) is the most common one for tourists, but also for students willing to study in one of the Schengen area member countries for up to 90 days. This visa allows its holder to stay and travel freely in the Schengen area for up to 90 days over a 180 day period.
- Suppose you are a student from a country that has not signed a visa-free agreement with the Schengen area member states. In this case, it is crucial to remember that a certificate proving that you have insurance covering you for medical and hospital expenses will be mandatory when you submit your visa application. Furthermore, a minimum cover of € 30,000 and validity in all countries of the Schengen area will be a prerequisite. In addition, other documents, including travel itinerary, proof of accommodation, and financial means, will also be asked. 

- Suppose you are from a country with a visa-free travel arrangement with the Schengen area. In this case, Schengen travel insurance is not mandatory. However, it is still wise to consider as a travel medical insurance plan provides emergency health and medical coverage in the event of an accident, injury, or sickness beyond your control. In addition, travel insurance can offset the high medical costs associated with being ill while travelling outside of your country of residence. Once again, Schengen travel insurance might not be mandatory - but it is excellent to consider so that you can have peace of mind on your travels.
 Type D Schengen visa or national long-stay visaThe national visa is the type D long-stay Schengen visa. It is mandatory for any foreigner wishing to study in a Schengen country for longer than 90 days. Valid from 3 to 12 months, it allows its holder to live and study in the country they applied for and travel in the Schengen area during the entire validity period of their visa. Each country of the Schengen area regulates their long-term visas and the requirements the applicant needs to meet. Discover the conditions in question by the country you wish to study in making contact with their embassy in your country of residence. 

The student travel insurance for Schengen visa

Some credit cards, especially premium credit cards, come with a suite of travel insurance protections that provide coverage if something goes wrong with your trip. However, it’s important to remember that most credit cards do not typically offer travel medical insurance. A sound emergency health and medical insurance plan will provide peace of mind in case the unexpected happens. 

Europ Assistance offers two different travel insurance policies for the Schengen Area: Schengen and Schengen Plus. Regardless of the policy you choose, you can rest assured that you will have access to 24-hour trilingual support (in English, French, and Spanish), first-rate medical assistance, and repatriation. Furthermore, all our policies are fully compliant with European Union regulations and valid throughout the Schengen zone. What’s more, you don’t need to undergo pre-screening or a medical exam to apply, and we’ll even refund your money if your Schengen visa application is rejected.